RI Children's Book Award

Hugh Cole Library: RI Children's Book Award

RI Children's Book Award

Graphic Novel – The Stonekeeper: Amulet Book One

July 28, 2009 · 5 Comments · Graphic Novel - The Stonekeeper

amuletAction can be found on every page of The Stonekeeper: Amulet Book1. Graphic novels tell their stories through pictures and conversation bubbles.  This makes the reading seem fast and exciting.  I found myself gasping a couple of times when the action surprized or worried me.

Readers will cheer for Emily and her brother Navin as they act bravely to get their family back together.  However, a lot of questions are left unanswered at the end of this book.  Will the kid’s get the medicine to wake up their mom?  Who or what is speaking from the Amulet?  Will Emily use her power to turn back time?  We will have to read Book 2!

Next week: The Seer of Shadows by Avi – Horror!

5 Comments

• alexis

I read the book Amulet book one The Stone keeper
    By:Kazu Kibuishi.This book is 185 pages long.This book is about a girl named Emily and a boy named
    navin.Emily was chosen by her great grand father
    Silas Charon to use the power of the amulet to save hermother and her family.Emily,Navin and a robot bunny named miskit go trough a tunnel of rakers.
    Then kill the monster that trapped her mother.When they get her to safety Emily and navin found out that their mother was poisoned.Will they ever find the ingredients in time for the antidote?

• jonathan

I readthe book Amulet Book one The Stone keeper by Kazu Kibuishi. This novel is 185 pages long. This novel is about a girl named Emily and a boy named Navin. Emily was chosen by her great grand father Silas Charnon to use the power of the amulet to save her mother and her family. Emily, Naven and a robot bunny named Miskit go through a tunnel full of rakers. Then kill a monster and save her mother.When they get her to safety Emily and Navin found out that there mother is poisoned. They use there house that can walk to go to the nearest town Kanalis to get what they need to make the antidote.

• greenej

Hi Jonathan,

Did you love this book? Your description of the story is great. Both you and Michaela wrote about similiar things, like the fact that the mom was poisoned. You each brought different details to light, though. Great job!

• michaela

I’m reading The Stonekeeper: Amulet book 1 by Kazu Kibushi. It’s a graphic novel and has 185 pages.
    This story is about a young girl named Emily who is choosen to be the stonekeeper by her great granfather. She has to go to a world she’s never been to. A creature grabbed her mother and brought her to a place somewhere different. Emily kills the creature and saves her mother. She later found out that her mother was poisined and she has to get an antidote. So Emily, her brother Navin, and a few inventions that her great grandfather made go to the nearest city to get the antidote.

• greenej

Hi Michaela,

What do you think of the graphic novel format? I have to say that I enjoyed reading The Stonekeeper: Amulet. I wonder if you are picking your favorite book as you go along. Next January we will vote for our choice in the RI Children’s Book Award in the library.